Boone County Historical Center
Highlights of the Museum:
- -View a model railroad diorama of the dramatic Kate Shelley story. Also see her gold medals and the lantern she carried on that stormy night.
- -Explore a recreated slope coal mine.
- -Learn about the environmental history of the area through an extensive collection of mounted animals, birds, and eggs.
- -Military and Gun collection from the frontier days to Desert Storm.
- -The 2Oth Century Gallery which is a decade by decade look at Boone County and Iowa History
- -Prehistoric and Native American items.
- -Extensive collection of US coins.
- -Early medical equipment.
- -Temporary and special exhibits through out the year.
- -Historical and Genealogical records.
- 1:00 to 4:00 pm Monday - Friday
- Other times by appointment call 515-432-1907
- Closed on major holidays
- $3.00 for adults
- FREE admission for children (under 18) and Boone County Historical Society members
- Take Highway 30 to Boone. At the intersection of Highway 30 and Story Street turn north onto Story. Follow Story Street to the corner of Sixth Street and Story. The Historical Center is located on the Northeast corner of the intersection.